I have a guilty-pleasure-confession: I have a thing for storms. These are true thoughts.. with some fantasy riddled in. Some guilty desires maybe.. I have some memories I never want to forget however I am forgetting them physically. What I remember the most are my feelings.
The sky would become black with rage as if it were a cauldron of hate, bubbling, boiling over and bursting with power. You can see so many defined bulges in the formations, like they were ready to pound in sheets at any moment. I loved days like those. Some days we'd get out of school early because the rain would seem to never stop pouring and the streets would flood.. not just any streets, but the country back-roads to which there was no detour. Even the air around me seemed to have a charge like it would shake my bones and I'd feel it through to my soul. The storm would get to me. It would put me in a trance. Every storm. Every pitch-black day was exciting.
I wanted it to rain on my wedding day, and indeed it did. I wanted it to rain all through my honeymoon too, so that we could cuddle closely and feel all the power in the air from the storm. I wanted the thunder to rumble through the walls so we'd have to get closer -so we wouldn't have to be afraid. I had always pictured my honeymoon perfectly with the rain and the lightning since I never pictured anything else about my wedding or such.
This is the picture I keep in my mind: The rain would pour all over the windows and you could hear it pounding on the rooftop and on the glass threatening to break through with a houl. You could hear it through the leaves on the trees and on the streets and puddles. You could hear the wind rustling the trees, making them sway, rocking from weakness. The power would go out and the house would start to get cold. I'd find a blanket and a soft seat -probably the couch or an easy chair- all I want to do it watch every drop, hear every ping and plop, drip and drop. It's a miracle to me. What it does to my soul can't be explained. This is how much I absolutely love the rain.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment