Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Autumn Run

I run now. I run for my life. There are a million reasons why I run, but I am not really interested in the whys. I take myself on a journey every time I take a step outside. When I run, I transcend from the ordinary. When I'm running I can see what I wouldn't normally see. And when I run in the autumn-time, I feel elated.. because autumn brings about that change in the world where time slows down and the leaves start to fall ...and some start to burn, where fields are harvested and the streets get their first wash from that first rainfall. When those gravel and dirt paths are traveled less, when the sky gets darker sooner, when fall festivals are popular.. bobbing and tossing and winning and carving and fishing and EATING, lots of eating!


But I will always remember my first run in the month of November.


The day begins and the air is cool and damp. Fog has layered the land in gentle swathes of frothy cotton. There are patches where the ground is still visible and the air is a little warmer, a little sweeter. But we took off on that day. There were hills that we climbed, steep and challenging, some slow or gradual, and then we'd soar downward, our noses pricked and our hearts racing. Flight is inevitable!


My company was definitely enjoyable, but as we trotted I felt that twinge of guilt. Guilt?! On a run...? Yes, guilt. Because my love, you see.. I ran today with my dearest of running friends whom I hold closely to my heart, but I have a love greater than people. My heart is set on the atmosphere and this time of year, the drawing force that calls me out to this chill, this bite, that sting that makes me sniffle, where every breath I take cuts my throat just a bit. My eyes behold the healthy feast of color from those changing leaves, the reds and yellows and browns, oranges.. and eventually grays. We can see the sun, but it offers a false hope of warmth. Frost hasn't come yet, but I know it will. My breathing is heavier and my body is chilled, it's harder for me to stay warm when my sweat can't escape. I know we can't stay out for long, but I love to be alone out here. No car to drive, no phone to answer, no child to tend, and nothing to clean. My eyes start to sting with salt.. whether from tears of beauty and joy or that of the wind.. maybe both. The evergreens that surround us remind me that soon.. winter approaches. I want to remember this though. Before the holidays and the caroling and decorating and packaging, mailing, rushing, shopping, forgetting and remembering.. there is autumn in all its glory. There is autumn where I can wait by the wayside and watch the world turn, or pick up a book and wrap myself cozy-warm, mug in hand. Autumn is in my heart and I love it, I'll love it for always.


It's time to head home. I care not for my calories burned or our miles traveled, our pace or how long we stayed out. What my mind will remember from this day is that I was outside and I loved it. And I took the time to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment