Friday, February 26, 2010

Blessed Rain

I headed out to run my errands just as the rain starting dropping. It's been windy all morning. The garbage cans are knocked over, as are my fake plants that are supposed to decorate my fromt door.. left over from Christmas :-( I think part of me doesn't want to go out on a day like today until the rain starts. I knew it was coming. I went to Michaels and it was still windy and rainy. Raindrops were getting fatter and I put my hair up so the ends wouldn't get soggy. Pony tails tend to get gnarly, okay? I came out of the store and see shoppers running this way and that way as they try to dodge these fat droplets that come at you 20 shots per second. I wanted to waltz in it. I'm wearing light shoes that are supposed to only be worn with dress socks or bare feet. I'm wearing thick socks with them so my feet feel a little scrunched. Nonetheless I loped easily to my car which was only about 15-20 feet away. I could feel every drop as they hit my face in kisses. The wind rustled my hair out of my twist a little bit, and I had to keep pushing it back behind my ear. I unlocked my car, plugged in my iPhone, lights on, wipers on, and backed out so I could hit the second store.

I got to Safeway with my blades going at medium-slow speed. The rain-x treatment is still holding up, so I don't need to wipe as often. I didn't drive quickly, but I didn't lolly-gag either. Again, I felt like dancing in this rain. I got out of my car and walked to the front door carelessly, wishing I had more time and were farther away so I could take longer. The other part of me has more sense.. it knows my shoes couldn't handle water for much longer. I came out of the store after only 5 minutes and stood for a moment. The clouds are the shade of gunmetal. I can still see the effects of strong winds. They're still churning with possibilities of thunder and lightning. My world haults to thunder.. abruptly. I let those fat drops slap my cheeks again and again, just under my eyes on the apples of my cheeks, on my forehead and under my lip. Some hit my lashes and I'm forced to blink. But if I could I'd keep my eyes open for it all. Rain is one of thise miraculous things man simply cannot duplicate, hard as we might try. Rain is sporadic, chaotic. The weatherman can predict it's arrival based on scientific patterns, but they are only predictions -at a percentage. I love this about the rain. And I love that rain is wet. I love that it can be warm or cold. I love standing out in the rain and closing my eyes and feeling that rain. I love watching from a window. It's hard for me to read when it's raining because all I want to do is watch the rain. I want to snuggle up and look on in wonder and amazement. Blessed rain. Oh how I love thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment